Friday 4 January 2013

Exercise wise


Ok so admittedly I didnt get into this what i'd call sorry state; if I were a marathon runner or a gynist or something. To be honest I have never really been one for making a huge effort of the fitness front.

When I was at school, I used to take part in P.E when I was supposed to and even played hockey for the school team. To which I paid with broken fingers. but even at this point i was 'unfit' and couldnt really do an awful lot. My fitness levels were low in general.

Nowadays I have a very active job working in a Medical Assessment Unit in a busy hospital in Bath, EN. The majority of my colleagues say that they are exhausted by the end of the shifts and that they are not sure they could do what I do at home.

You see my boyfriend has a younger brother who was born with Cerebral Palsy; when I get home from a busy shift at work; I am a carer for his brother Thomas. He is a very happy chappy who I love lots and I dont see caring for him as a job I do it for love not money.

I dont look after him everyday when I finish work but my days off I try to have him for the day to give his Dad a break; he has recetnly retired to look after Thomas and I feel that he needs a break too.

Anyway I digress

Fitness and healthy eating go together like salt and pepper sugar and spice black and white.

So what am I doing during this weight loss aim of mine??????

Well im running. I have recently started to jog more than run as I would say. I went out today and jogged/ran 2.5 miles in 30 minutes (with a little walking rest in the middle).

My aim is to gradually increase my exercise tolerance and run for longer at a time. The speed / time it takes me is not an issue for me its a case of distance and time.

How did I get into running??

My Mum. My Mum is my inspiration; over the years bringing up 3 children as a dingle parent when my father left my Mums weight issues were as much as an issue for her as mine are to me now... if not more.... at one stage my Mum was a UK size 22. Now many many years down the line she is a size 12-14 and runs 6 miles a day. She started at the same point as me.... barely able to run the distance between 2 street lights and now she runs for 6-7 miles.... Im slowly building my distance im at around 1.5 miles before i have to walk a little and then finish a 2.5 mile loop.

With my Mum I aim by March 2014 to be able to run RUN a half marathon in memory of my late step father who recently passed away with a short but painful battle with lung cancer. He always told me I could do anything I put my mind to.... including training to become a nurse..... and we want to do it for him. And more importantly to raise money for the oncology unit that treated him with such care and compassion.

Any support for running tips of the trade and general encouragement will all be greatfully recieved.

heres to getting my butt running a half marathon in a years time :)






No comments:

Post a Comment